Thursday, July 19, 2007

Growing ....

Elijah's weight gaining plan seems to be working! Every morning this week he has looked bigger when he got up than he did when he went to sleep. He's getting taller and heavier - good job, Elijah! After we started the doctor's new plan a couple of weeks ago, I was concerned. I added two snacks, and he just ate less at meals. I offered meat and cheese (etc.) first, and suddenly ham is no longer his favorite food. And then he decided that he would only eat finger food - anything on a spoon is bad! Until now, I have been so thankful for Elijah's relatively happy, easy-going eating style. He eats pretty well most of the time, so I never felt like I needed to force anything, and he's always liked healthy foods. But honestly, the first week of the new plan made me very nervous. What if he turns into a crazy, picky eater and never gains any weight!?! But I've been trying to come up with lots of good (calorie dense) finger food options, and he seems to be getting back to his old, happy eating self. He also wasn't too sure about drinking regular milk at first, and I was not sure we would ever get up to the doctor's recommended 16 oz. per day. But he's decided now that he loves milk, and I'm not worried anymore!
Eating breakfast ("I love sausage!")

2 comments:

  1. Hmmmm, a weight gain problem. That's a new one in this family. Elijah, you come by this problem honestly; just ask your uncles!
    -JM

    ReplyDelete
  2. he is too stinkin' cute. i'm glad he and you are figuring it out. picky eaters...i can't imagine what that must be like...

    ReplyDelete