Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Talking to Elijah

While he was eating a big bowl of oatmeal for breakfast this morning, Elijah announced, "I don't like oatmeals." And then he ate the whole bowl. The rest of our breakfast conversation went something like this:
"I don't like amimals [animals]."
"I don't like buses."
"I don't like farm trucks."
"Mama, can we go zoo?"
"I don't like amimals at zoo."

Animals, buses and farm trucks are some of his favorite things. Maybe he's confused about what "I don't like" means.

While he was playing this morning, Elijah kept saying "wovel jungle bum" [lovable jungle bum] to himself. This is what happens when you have a kid who loves to read anything - he likes to have me read the back of The Jungle Book video box to him as if it were a real story.

Elijah got a set of 12 little dinosaurs for his birthday. They are realistic (rather than cartoony) looking and have the name of the dinosaur printed on the belly of each one (very helpful for parents). He has learned to say all of them, and knows which dinosaur is which. I think it's kind of amazing - some of them are hard for me to say!

Of course, he still talks like he's two - he can't say his Ls or Rs very well, and he makes phrases into words - "owdmacdonawd," "uhsidown," and things like that. Here are some of his funny two-year-old pronunciations:

peacater = computer
rhinonus/rhinosususus = rhinosorus
baby Molly grill = baby Molly girl
pway = pray and play (this is very confusing for all of us)

Elijah likes to show things to Molly - here's a video of him showing her his farm animals.

5 comments:

  1. ...or maybe, he's just being contrary to be contrary like a two-year old. :-) (See my sidebar for more examples. He he.)

    Two-year old talk is so entertaining!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, the video is just precious!

    When it stopped playing, Logan said, "Nyah! I don't like it! I want to like it!"

    Me: "Do you mean that you want to watch it again?"

    Logan: "Uh huh. I want to watch it again."

    ReplyDelete
  3. All that kept running through my head was "Green Eggs and Ham" Hope everyone is feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete