Thursday, September 4, 2008

Just some thoughts and random pictures

Today, while eating lunch with Elijah, I learned that "a macachee" is the singular form (for one noodle) of mac and cheese. Why not? Toddler grammar makes a lot more sense, when you think about it, than proper English. Wouldn't it be easier if you always just added an -s to make words plural?

The word 'sheep,' for example, is very confusing. Why isn't the plural 'sheeps'?

Maybe I'm a big nerd, but I think observing language acquisition is fascinating.


I hate trimming Molly's nails. I remember that it was horrible when Elijah was little, too. She can't hold still, she hates having her hands held open, and the nails are soooooo tiny! I know you're supposed to do it when they're sleeping, but neither of my kids have ever slept soundly enough when they aren't swaddled - they just wake right up if you mess with them like that.


I've learned that if you take your kids to the fabric store and they don't scream, everyone will be amazed. If you take your son to the fabric store and he isn't throwing a huge tantrum, everyone is baffled. Does everyone else leave their toddlers home alone when they go somewhere too feminine? Is it OK that I haven't told Elijah yet that fabric stores are girly? (They have fire truck fabric and John Deere tractor fabric and cowboy fabric and all sorts of sports and animal fabrics - how would he know he's supposed to hate it?)


"Cheese!"




This is the best windowsill in the world.


Yesterday Molly was stylin' in her first pair of jeans. What a grown-up girl!


Hey, cute stuff!

3 comments:

  1. I love the macachee!

    I'm still thinking that Molly really looks like Maiah at the same age. No doubt those girls are Tanners!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No need to tell Elijah that fabric stores are girly places-- he'll figure it out later in life. Cannon loves to help me sew by giving me the pins. It is a great way to talk about colors with him too (I know Elijah knows his colors allready though). I can sew and know that Cannon isn't getting into trouble because he is there "helping" me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always hated doing Patrick's nails. They were so soft for so long, that they didn't cut well. I quickly learned to use one of the softer parts on a nail buffer to do his nails. It didn't bother him much I didn't worry about drawing blood.

    I have forgotten so much already about Patrick being that small. Thanks for the memories :)

    ReplyDelete