Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Spring, and more random Elijah stuff

It's raining here today - I guess in New England you have to get some of that wet spring weather after you've had nice, sunny weather for a few days, and I suppose that's OK. We had really nice weather last week though, and we've been seeing a lot of flowers blooming and trees budding. I really like spring, and it is nice to see some familiar things, as well as some pretty flowers/trees that I haven't seen before. I've been meaning to take more pictures, but here are a couple -




Elijah is doing all sorts of fun and funny things lately. He's been very into cars, trucks, and trains for a while now, but lately he is completely obsessed with buses. School buses are his favorite. He's starting to put all his single words into phrases lately, so all day long I hear, "yeh-yow bus!" (He can't really say his L and R sounds yet.) He also identifies "white" and "green" buses when he sees them (the public buses and NE/NYC shuttle buses around here). I also get to draw lots of buses for him when we color. His other favorite thing to draw is "happy" - happy faces and/or stick people who are smiling. Mostly I draw them and he tries to copy it when I'm done.

The kid is also very interested in numbers and letters. His newest skill is counting from 1 - 10. Well, he starts at two after I say "one." And yesterday he started skipping seven. I don't know why he would start leaving it out, but he loves to yell, "eight, nine, ten!" whenever I ask him to say "seven." Elijah points out letters and numbers on everything, and wants me to tell him what they are and what the letters spell. He used to make sounds resembling E-L-I-J-A-H whenever he saw a word he wanted to spell, but now he knows a few letters and the words they spell - like PLAYTEX and GERBER from the lids on his sippy cups. If I spell it, he'll tell me which one it is. My mom made the mistake of trying to spell (instead of saying) E-L-M-O in front of him while she was here, and he looked at her and said, "Elmo?" The only letter he can really pick out by looking at it is O, but he likes to pretend to write letters when he's coloring. We also like to look at his alphabet books and think of all the words that Elijah knows that start with each letter. He's very good at B - there are lots of good B words out there!

2 comments:

  1. what a smart kid!

    i am very sad for the wet weather after such nice weeks but i guess we really need the rain. does it have to get so chilly though?! there is supposed to be a frost tonight. wah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's so cool that EJ is so interested in learning his letters and numbers already! What a smart little guy. We have been enjoying all of the fun things blooming around here too especially the lilacs and dogwood trees. So pretty. It got cold again here too and might frost tonight, yuck! I think it is supposed to be better by the end of the week.

    ReplyDelete