Monday, May 5, 2008

Salad for two

Today at lunch I fell back on one of my favorite ploys to get Elijah to come and eat cheerfully and willingly - salad! Well, I call it salad because he likes to think he's having what I'm having, and I suppose his little fresh veggie mix still qualifies as a salad despite the lack of lettuce...

Anyway, we have come up with a great little system to help me get enough veggies during the day and to make Elijah's lunch time veggies easier as well - Patrick chops all the veggies on grocery day (because he is good and fast at chopping) and we throw them in the fridge in containers for easy assembly. (We also like to get little tomatoes - grape or cherry size - so that they don't have to be chopped at all.) Then I can make myself a salad anytime, even if Elijah is awake. I can also quickly throw together some celery, carrots, and halved tomatoes for a little salad for Elijah to munch on while I get the rest of his lunch together. He loves tomatoes, so an offer of seconds is also a good bribe to get him to eat other things. (Frozen peas or mixed veggies also work pretty well for this - they defrost in a couple of seconds and then keep him occupied while I do other things.) How funny to have a toddler who loves salad!

2 comments:

  1. I wish Caleb liked his veggies as much as Elijah. He still refuses to eat real veggies so we are still giving him baby food veggies. Maybe we should have Elijah talk to him! Thanks for sending the clothes back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a cute idea...how you feeling?? getting ready huh???

    ReplyDelete