Monday, March 3, 2008

A new adventure

Well, we got the official word today - we are moving to Rhode Island! Patrick has a new job there that sounds like it will be challenging, fun and great career-building experience, which he starts in three weeks. He will be the Assistant Director of Residence Life at Roger Williams University. He will be doing a great many things there including working with the hall directors and the Living/Learning Communities.

We will be packing up in a bit of a hurry so that he has plenty of time to drive out there and get us moved in before he starts. We are so thankful for his dad, who is coming to help drive out, and for my mom who is flying out with Elijah and I to help us unpack and get settled. I am not terribly excited about flying with Elijah right now - he has a hard time sitting for more than a few minutes at a time! But it will be so much better (for both of us) than driving all day for four or five days straight. We have mixed emotions about moving, of course. We will really miss all of our Colorado family and friends! We'll miss the mountains, and 300+ days of sunshine a year, and I'm not sure if I will be able to put some strange license plate on my car. (Even when I was away at college I've always had my Colorful Colorado plates - what can I say? I'm a Colorado girl.) Patrick and I went to Rhode Island a couple of years ago to visit my brother Cameron when he was in school there, and I remember it being pretty. We also have the advantage of being only a couple of hours from Luke & Jackie and the kids, so we're excited to get to see them more often. It's going to be a big change for me - I've never lived so close to the water before! I'm sure moving and living in a new place will be quite an adventure for all of us.

10 comments:

  1. congrats to patrick on the new job! we'll definitely miss you guys, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! God bless you on your new adventure! What will you do with your place? Moving is always scary, but fun and exciting too! We will be thinking about you. At least your not doing it through contractions this time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will try to be happy for you. I will also be praying for you in all the newness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We'll be praying for you guys as you head into the "semi" unknown...Where exactly in RI will you be? I have a friend who lives in Lincoln and they are helping start an RP church there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That's quite a move! That's exciting about the new job and the new chapter in y'all's lives! Keep us updated!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting, Rebecca and I look forward to seeing all of you now that you will be just around the corner! We will pray that the move goes well, Let us know if there is anything you need help with.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i bet jackie is super excited to have you closer! patrick's family will be within normal driving distance as well, right?
    i hope all the packing and travels go well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Julie! Wow! I have mixed emotions about you moving so far away! Moving up in life is always good. I'm so bad at keeping in touch even when we are close! We have to go to lunch before the big move!

    ReplyDelete
  9. a very diplomatic announcement ;) i know you are overwhelmed with all the changes coming esp. moving away from family but i cannot but be excited that you are going to be near me. i have missed you so and our infrequent visits haven't been nearly enough to satisfy...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow...big changes ahead! It's very exciting and sounds like a great opportunity for Patrick. I'm sure Jackie is thrilled and we'll hope for more visits to the Pittsburgh area (I'd love to meet your little one(s)). We also know how hard it is to leave family and the familiar. We'll be praying for a smooth transition for all of you.

    ReplyDelete