Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Tribute to the old flips

Last week, Elijah and I were out and about with my mom - we went to lunch and then to Kohl's for a couple of things. It was a fun day, except that my old favorite flip flops died. I was very sad because I loved my flips and all the memories that went with them, and because it is very hard to walk in broken flip flops! Thankfully, Kohl's had some flip flops on sale, and I got a new pair, but I will miss the old ones - they were pretty special for a pair of old flips!

There are many things I could say about my old flips - how comfortable they were and how they never gave me blisters, even after a long winter of never wearing them, how I wore them all through last summer when I was pregnant and nothing else fit - it could really go on and on. But since I'm sure you all don't really want to hear me go on endlessly, here's the one best thing. Eight years ago, I returned from a summer backpacking around Europe with very sad feet. It was a wonderful trip, but I only had one pair of sandals that I wore the whole time. After some interesting experiences, including wading through rivers of a mix champagne, flour, raw eggs and various condiments at the festival of San Fermin in Pamplona, Spain, my shoes were gross. But they were all I had, so I kept wearing them. When I arrived back in the States, I spent a week in Pennsylvania visiting friends and attending a wedding before I came home, and I still only had that one gross pair of shoes. I arrived at my friend Erin's house, and the first thing we did was to go buy a pair of new flips so I could get out of those yucky Europe shoes! (Thank you, Erin!!) Even if I hadn't gotten eight happy years of comfortable wear from them afterwards, I would love those flips just for that week and the relief of getting out of the old sandals. I'll miss you, little flips!

2 comments:

  1. Awww so sad =( I totally remember taking you to buy those and leaving the nasty Teva's on the front porch because they were so stinky! I can't believe they have lasted that long. I hope the new ones are as good. I can't wait to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel. My flip flops were all I wore at the end of my pregnancy and all summer. I will be sad when that day comes for mine as well.

    ReplyDelete