Friday, September 21, 2007

A long day


Yesterday was a long day. Actually, it started Tuesday night. Elijah didn't sleep well, so no one slept well. On Wednesday we were all tired and no one felt very good and that never helps. Then some of that tired, dragging feeling just spilled over into yesterday. It's not that it was a bad day - we had some fun and ran some errands and there was nothing too horrible about it. Elijah didn't nap well (is he getting a new tooth? is he coming down with a cold or something? is it just a funk? I don't know!) and was a little more clingy than usual, and on Thursdays Patrick doesn't get home until after Elijah goes to bed. For some reason, that extra hour and a half is really, really long. And there is something about doing Elijah's whole day by myself that is hard. It really makes me appreciate Patrick's help when he's home! So I just had one of those days where I'm wondering what I got myself into. Anyway, at this point I can't remember what happened Wednesday, and what was yesterday, but we had one little incident ...

Elijah woke up sounding kinda hoarse, but seemed to be feeling fine otherwise. I wanted to make sure he got plenty of fluids for whatever was bothering him, so I made him some very diluted juice (he usually only drinks water or milk) because I thought it would be a treat and he'd want to drink more. He did - he drank 1 and 1/2 cups of juice and 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 cup of milk. Hooray! Then he took his morning nap, and when he woke up, everything was WET! Apparently the morning's fluid intake was a bit too much for his daytime-sized cloth diaper, and he leaked like he wasn't even wearing a diaper. Two blankets, the sheet, pillowcase, the mattress pad, and all his clothes from t-shirt to socks were wet. So then it was a race to see if I could get the mattress pad washed and dry and back on his bed before his afternoon nap. Yikes ...

Elijah, version 2.0 (in all new, dry clothes)

2 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about doing the whole day by yourself. I am so glad that we both have husbands/dads who are so helpful and involved when they are home! That is a really cute pic of you and Elijah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto on the long days and the crazy, no good, horrible nap days! I feel like we've been in that phase for weeks now! Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete