Saturday, May 26, 2007

Memorial Day

I've been thinking this week about Memorial Day and what it is we're celebrating. I think most of my life I've celebrated Memorial Day as the beginning of summer and a day off from work or school (both things well worth celebrating, in my opinion!). Then a few years ago, my youngest brother, Cameron, was serving in the Marine Corps in Iraq and just happened to be in the middle of a major operation on Memorial Day. We spent that day praying for his safety rather than focusing on the sunshine, and it was an experience that changed my perception of this holiday. There is a lot of sacrifice, by the men and women serving and by their loved ones, that goes along with being in the armed forces especially during a time of war. I am thankful that this year Cameron is safe at home (he is currently attending the US Naval Academy), but many military families are not so blessed. So, while I am whole-heartedly enjoying the sunshine and the beginning of summer, and going to a couple of picnics, I am also trying to remember to honor the reason for the day - the service and sacrifice of the men and women, past and present, of our military and the freedoms that we enjoy because of them. Cameron, we are so proud of you!



My brother Cameron (2002)

Here is a link to a couple of entries from my cousin's blog archive about Cameron's last tour in Iraq (2005).

1 comment:

  1. awesome. thanks for the reminder and thanks for lnking to those stories. i'm amazed at my little cousin and what he has done!

    ReplyDelete