Tuesday, November 29, 2011

So thankful

I  really like Thanksgiving.  I'm not sure why I like it so much - the food is great, but I wouldn't choose turkey and all as my favorite meal or anything.  The meal prep is always a little crazy at the end, but maybe the chaos of too many cooks in the kitchen is part of the goodness - it is certainly an integral part of all my Thanksgiving memories.  Maybe it's just the being together, celebrating, and enjoying good food without much agenda.   I love the attitude of the day - being thankful, encouraging our kids to be thankful, and loving our family and friends who are gathered around.  I love that we have to use our grandmothers' recipes and that everyone has a favorite dish that they look forward to, and that even the jello has tradition and memories and meaning.  I love that both of our extended families celebrate with love and a lot of laughter around the table.

We got to host this year, and we were so excited to put in all the leaves for Great-Grandma's dining table and use our wedding gift dishes and the giant roasting pan that Patrick gave me years ago, when we still lived in tiny places that didn't even have an oven big enough to roast a chicken, let alone a 20 lb turkey, in expectation of being able to do this someday.  i was a little nervous about being in charge of the important stuff - turkey, stuffing, gravy - but it all came out great.  And even though getting ready was a little hectic (especially after Finn was mysteriously very fussy ALL DAY the day before) it was so nice to be home during the day - Molly got a reasonable nap in her own bed, and I could take care of a still extra fussy baby in his own room when I needed to.  And it is just so fun to have a crowd of people that we love in our home. =)

I didn't take many pictures - sorry!  But we had a great time and great food.  I am thankful for lots and lots of things.  We were thankful for my mom's help while she was here, helping us get ready even though she didn't get to stay for turkey.  We are thankful to be so near Patrick's family, and to get to celebrate with them.  I am thankful for Patrick, and Elijah and Molly and Finn.  I am thankful for all the many blessings God has given us this year, and for a day to celebrate being grateful.

Our dining room, ready for Thanksgiving, with the new light Patrick put up.

Making our first turkey -the giant bird goes in!  We made a 27 1/2 lb turkey.  I was surprised it even fit!  And it was so yummy.

Molly and Elijah made lists of things that they are thankful for - I thought they were fun.

Molly:  I am thankful for Finn, Mommy, Daddy, Elijah, my"friends" in my bed (her stuffed animals and baby dolls), and Jessie, my toy (from Toy Story).

Elijah:  I am thankful for Nana, my turkey, Mom, Finn, Dad, Molly, God and Jesus, Love, (his friends at school), puppies and kitties.

No comments:

Post a Comment