Tuesday, August 24, 2010

To Nana & Grandpa's house we go!

The kids and I were excited to go to Colorado - to see friends and family, go to the mountains, eat Olathe sweet corn and Palisade peaches, and do so many fun things. But I was not so excited for the flight out - I learned last year that flying on my own with both kids is hard work and that while most airline people are very helpful and understanding, help sometimes disappears at the worst possible moment.

The flight out this year was difficult. The gate agent in Boston was great - he and Elijah were great friends as soon as we got to the gate. He got Elijah an invitation to the cockpit, so Molly stayed in the gate area with Patrick while Elijah met the pilots and I loaded the car seats, and then the gate agent brought the kids down to me on the plane. I was thankful for the wonderful people who helped and made getting on pretty easy!


The flight was long, and we left just about the time the kids usually go down for nap. Elijah did fine, coloring and watching his movies and eating snacks. Molly was miserable the whole way. She didn't want to wear her headphones, so watching movies didn't help, and nothing else interested her for very long. Molly kicked the seat in front of her every time she got the chance, so I ended up spending a lot of time leaning across Elijah to hold Molly's feet. The pilot invited Elijah back up to the cockpit at the end of the flight, so he had a great time while I was loading up. On the way out, there was no one to help me carry both car seats and our carry-on bags and wrangle both kids off the airplane and up the jet way, until we got to the gate and Nana & Grandpa came to meet us. Hopefully, if I ever try to fly with just the kids again I'll be able to take just one car seat and they'll be older and the whole thing will be easier.

We were glad to get to Nana & Grandpa's house and spend a couple of days just settling in, getting used to the time change and a new place. The kids had so much fun with their grandparents throughout the trip - reading, playing play-doh and bubbles and trains, playing in the yard and in the little pool. They both were excited to play the guitar with Grandpa, too!



No comments:

Post a Comment