Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Dinner impossible ...

Well, I thought I had a great plan for dinner tonight.

I've been trying to think of an easy, yummy dinner to make for a friend who just had a baby and none of the old stand-by recipes sounded good or fun this time. When I checked out the schedule (check out this cool site where you can make a meal registry! wow - what crazy practical idea will they come up with next?) I was laughing to myself because no one is making a lasagna. Poor old lasagna - almost always yummy, freezes well and most people like it, so it's the perfect meal to bless someone else - except that the blessed people usually get about 14 lasagnas and are so thoroughly sick of it they never want to have a baby again! Anway, that made me realize that we haven't had lasagna in ... years? It sounded good (something different!) but when I thought of what a pain it is to cut up all the pasta layers for the kiddos I almost dismissed it again for a few more years, and then I remembered the lasagna-style dish that I used to make when I was a nanny. Basic, yummy, lots of cheese, and layered with smaller noodles (I like bow-ties because they lay kinda flat) instead of the lasagna noodles - perfect for kids. I can't believe I haven't made it for my own kids yet! I don't even remember exactly which recipe I started with back then, but I think I found one looks right. So I was excited to try it out, and thought we could even manage it tonight, with a super-quick run into the grocery store right after nap.

Then Molly didn't go to sleep until after she usually gets up from her nap. Grocery store - out. And I went back to the freezer (after a very cursory glance this morning for ideas) to get out the ground beef and realized that it was cubed beef instead.

Oh well, starting from scratch now. Maybe I can manage some steak tacos instead. If I do get to the store someday, I'll try to post the kid-lasagna recipe after we see how it tastes. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment