Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Movin' in and movin' up

Molly moves in

Yesterday we put the crib (now Molly's crib) back up in Elijah's room (now the kids' room). Miss Molly will still be sleeping in our room at night for a while (until she is waking less often), but she did need a safe, Elijah-proof place to take naps and chill out during the day. I am glad that her quilt really seems to work well in the room - now her side looks feminine and his side looks masculine, but they go well together. I don't know why I get so concerned about these things - Molly isn't going to notice for quite a while - but it really makes me feel so much better that it looks like she belongs in the room too. I have a little project that I'm working on for wall hangings, and the curtains still aren't up, but we're getting there.



Movin' on up

When Patrick's parents were here last week, they brought us two big, new (to us) things: a couch and a minivan! Our last couch was originally my grandparents' and although it's been great, it has been showing it's age (mostly by sinking lower and lower to the ground - great fun for getting up out of it when you're pregnant!), and was now past ready for retirement. Patrick's parents are redecorating and very graciously offered us their couch. It is a good piece of furniture that is still in great shape and I'm sure will last us many more years. Hooray!

The biggest change around here is our new-to-us van. It is a 2002 Chrysler that was originally Patrick's grandfather's. Some of you (those who already drive some similar family-type vehicle) are saying, "Oh, don't you just love your van!?" Some of you (those who haven't yet come to this very interesting place in your lives) are saying, "A minivan? Do you really want to drive a minivan?" Honestly, I feel a little of both - I am excited and not really excited at the same time.

First of all, we have two kids now. Two kids in car seats. And a double stroller and all the other junk that kids need when they travel. It all just doesn't fit very well into my little Civic. You should have seen us trying to get the four of us plus my mom and even a minimum amount of gear into my car. Yikes! We need the space! (Especially now that we would have to buy another ticket - driving is more reasonable than flying.) And I have to say that getting the kids in and out of the van is much easier than the car, especially with power doors.

But I will miss driving my Civic (it will be Patrick's commuter car now when he doesn't take the bus). I really do get unreasonably attached to my car. I can't say that I've ever wanted to drive a minivan and I'm still kinda uncomfortable with it - both the idea of it and the actual physical vehicle. There's the adjustment that comes with driving any new car - learning where everything is, and getting a feel for how it drives - plus, 1) I'm switching from a stick shift to an automatic, and 2) I haven't driven anything this big since high school. Of course, I loved that car, so maybe this one will grow on me too ... For now, I am still really nervous whenever I have to back up, but I think it's so cool that my key chain has a remote for the doors. Silly!

5 comments:

  1. Don't fret about the van :) It is a move most people make at some point in their lives. You could be driving around in a huge SUV, which then makes you look totally unfriendly to the environment and quite rich to pay for all that gas. In my opinion a mini van sits somewhere right in the middle and now you not only feel like a mother of two, you look like one as well :)

    By the way, I LOVE Molly's quilt! Despite having all that dark hair here and Elijah look like siblings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie I felt the same way when I got my Odyssey. It's a great vehicle, but I was about a month pregnant when I got it (my Escape needed replaced in a big way) so I wasn't too excited about it overall.
    Now that Rylee is here I do love it just like everyone told me I would. The automatic side doors are the best feature to me. It makes getting her and her gear into the van very easy.
    I think that the van will grow on you and be attached to it much faster than you think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Molly's quilt turned out great. So pretty. I hope that you grow to love the van but I doubt that it can have as much personality as the Buick.

    ReplyDelete
  4. speaking of the buick i saw one broken down on my way home from your house the other day. it still had all its wood panelling though an dpretty spoked hub caps--never-the-less it still reminded me of the infamous tuna boat...

    and those automatic doors are truly a blessing (especially in a downpour:)! i would even drive a minivan if i could have a cool key chain like that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad I've found your blog. What beautiful babies! I had a wonderful time with your Mom at conference.

    Our love to you, Patrick and those sweet little ones.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete