Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Labor Day, and a recipe to share

We got to spend Labor Day with Jackie and Luke in Connecticut this year. We had a good time just hanging out - the kids played, the adults talked, we ate good food and played a fun game.

We tried actually taking some pictures, since we never do. Mostly, it didn't work out too well.


Molly was not going to sit there.

So, we tried to get just the older three. This is the best one.


But we did get this one - thanks, Luke!


While we were there, Jackie and I were talking and she asked me for this recipe. I thought I would put it up here, so everyone can try it! I've made this a couple of times, and we love it. It's pretty mild (and we like it that way), but using hot salsa instead of mild and adding Tabasco or a jalapeno would heat it up if you like it spicier. I prefer to use leftover chicken, or to marinate and then bake or grill it - I think it is less dry and more tasty that way. Of course, this way is very quick and easy! I don't think I let it simmer for that long, either, but it always turns out great.


Chicken Tortilla Soup

2 skinless, boneless chicken breasts (or leftover cooked chicken)

1/2 teaspoon olive oil

1/2 teaspoon minced garlic

1/4 teaspoon ground cumin

2 (14.5 ounce) cans chicken broth

1 cup frozen corn kernels

1 cup chopped onion

1/2 teaspoon chili powder

1 tablespoon lemon (or lime) juice

1 cup chunky salsa

1 cup milk

1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

1 can black beans, drained (optional)

tortilla chips

sour cream


In a large pot over medium heat, sauté the chicken in the oil for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cumin and mix well. Then add the broth, corn, onion, chili powder, lemon juice, salsa, and beans. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 20 minutes. Add the cheese and the milk; bring just to a boil, and remove from heat.

Break up some tortilla chips into individual bowls and pour soup over chips. Top with a little sour cream.


Yum!

4 comments:

  1. Did Luke buy the game already? The picture on the box that you linked is much better than the one that we have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm, that soup sounds really good, Julie. I'll have to try that out this fall/winter. (I love making soups when it' chilly outside!!) And what a great family picture of you guys!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So you played Catan! Now for the million dollar question... Is Jackie still talking to you? LOL I managed to get everyone (except Luke) mad at me with my decision making during my 2 times playing!

    ReplyDelete